Friday’s Tucson Forecast: Decent shot at Metro storms

TODAY’S BEAMISH BLOGCAST

THE CLIFF NOTES

7DayForecast080715

Today – 40% chance of storms. 99°, southwest wind 10 MPH.

Tonight – Partly cloudy. 77°, southeast wind 5 MPH.

Tomorrow – 20% chance of storms. 99°, west-southwest wind 10 MPH.

FORECAST DISCUSSION

Mpi080715

A potentially active Monsoon day to wrap up the work week.

Ample moisture is in place to support scattered storms today. Tucson stands a 40% chance of thunder, with a 60% storm chance for Santa Cruz & Cochise Counties. Daytime highs reach the upper 90s metro-wide this afternoon, running a few degrees above average.

Poor steering winds may limit the thunder threat later today, with cloud tops blowing off ahead of storm cores. This scenario keeps the Monsoon Prediction Index at 5 out of 10 for Tucson, indicating a moderate storm risk. Gusty winds, patchy blowing dust and locally heavy rainfall are the primary threats.

Drier air from the southwest drifts in this weekend, limiting the thunder threat for your outdoor plans. A 20% chance of storms is possible Saturday, decreasing to 10% on Sunday. Afternoon high temps will flirt with triple digits both days.

Much of the upcoming work week features a low grade Monsoon forecast. Tuesday may stand the best shot at storms, with rain chances at 30% for Tucson.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s